Property Stabilization Program
Since mid-2013, we have actively operated a Property Stabilization Program (PSP). Put simply, the goal of the PSP is to stabilize communities that have endured abandonment and foreclosures. As a whole, we act as a code enforcement intermediary, connecting residents to resources for home repair.
Our approach to property stabilization is multi-pronged and targeted. Below is a snapshot of our core activities:
- Convene the Hilltop Property Stabilization Committee members to meet bi-monthly to establish top-priority list of nuisance and blighted properties
- Establish communication with property owners and provide technical assistance and information referral services
- Maintain and update a database of problematic properties with all relevant information and photos
- Walk through neighborhoods to see problematic properties first-hand, take updated photos, and track progress in real-time
- Coordinate code violation remediation and/or property renovation with City, URA, and other community partners
- Implement and execute an Allentown/Beltzhoover Housing Market Restoration strategy
Property Stabilization Program in Action
How do we put property stabilization into effect? A snapshot of our programs shows you how.
- Outreach: We continually monitor and report property-related concerns to Pittsburgh’s 311 non-emergency helpline.
- Façade and side yard grant programs: We provide façade improvements and purchase vacant lots.
- Emergency stabilization grant (ESG) program: We provide rebuilding assistance on an emergency basis, fixing and addressing problems before they become cost-prohibitive.
- Artistic board up: We secure and paint vacant homes.
- Free will assistance: We tackle blight fight head on by supplying Hilltop residents, aged 50 and older, with a partnering attorney. By providing them with a Last Will and Testament at no cost, assigned attorneys help Hilltop residents name a defined heir to their home.
- Tangled title assistance: We provide counsel and guidance for homeowners.
- Local contractor database: We believe that neighbors build their own communities from the ground up. We put that belief to work by maintaining a database of local contractors who provide an array of services and resources throughout the community.
If you, a friend or neighbor may benefit from the PSP, or need assistance in resolving code violations or other property concerns in Hilltop neighborhoods, please complete the form below. If you have any questions, contact Roy Blankenship, Property Stabilization Program Coordinator, by phone at 412.586.5807 x2 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
property stabilization program in the news
- POSTGAZETTE.COM - 12/9/13 - Walkabout: Warnings and help boost hilltop housing around Allentown
- SoPghReporter.com - 8/19/14 - Program works to remedy code enforcement problems
- Pop City - 11/19/14 - 9 DIY fixes to price up your block on a shoestring budget
- WESA - 12/8/15 - Hilltop Alliance Offers Grants, Legal Help to Fight Pittsburgh Blight
- POSTGAZETTE.COM - 12/10/15 - Grant assists homeowners in drawing up wills to help end Beltzhoover blight
- SoPghReporter.com - 3/15/16 - Free wills and assistance buying side yards is available on Hilltop
- POSTGAZETTE.COM - 5/8/17 - Diana Nelson Jones’ Walkabout: Advocate aids low-income residents to fix property violations
- TribLIVE - 5/1/18 - $100K to restore 12 homes near ‘crown jewel’ of Beltzhoover in Pittsburgh
- SoPghReporter.com - 5/8/18 - Program will renovate facades of homes in Beltzhoover near McKinley
Interested in learning more?